The Today FM School of Radio and Podcasting, in association with Independent College, is a dynamic and highly practical training programme, designed to equip aspiring radio and podcast professionals with everything they need to know about working in the audio industry.
|Course Type: Professional||Accredited by: Independent College|
|Delivery: In-class & Blended Learning||Fees: €1,295 (includes specialist Zoom digital recorder)|
|Duration: 10 Weeks x 3 hours - includes in studio time||Location: Independent College|
|NFQ: Not Applicable||Next Intake: February 2023|
- Entry Requirements
- How to Apply
- View Testimonial
- Aims & Objectives
What is this Course?
Designed and coordinated by Patrick Haughey, former producer of Matt Cooper’s Last Word and Mario Rosenstock’s Sunday Roast and currently MD of podcasting agency AudioBrand, this course is for people who want to learn all about radio and podcasting, but don’t have the time to dedicate to a full-time programme. Delivered by highly experienced radio and podcast professionals, all of whom currently work in Today FM and Newstalk, the course will bring you to face to face with some of the country’s top presenters, producers, engineers and podcasters.
The course is designed to be as practical as possible, combining highly practical class exercises that mirror everyday radio scenarios, and guest speaker presentations. You will also receive your own Zoom digital recorder (H1n) to use throughout the course and keep afterwards. Key skills learned over the first nine weeks of the course are then put into action in week ten, as you get set up in the Today FM studios and record an ‘as live’ radio show that you and your colleagues have created.
WHAT WILL YOU GET FROM THIS COURSE?
- A detailed knowledge of the key areas of the radio industry, what each area involves, and what it takes to secure employment within that area.
- The opportunity to meet and work in-class alongside key Today FM and Newstalk professionals.
- Knowledge of recording equipment and scenarios for radio and podcasting, alog with digital editing skills.
- Core skills needed to create engaging content – defining your audience, story-telling, finding great guests, interview skills, audio editing, and much more
- A portfolio of work displaying presentation and editing skills, that the student can present when applying for media jobs
- Studio time in Today FM, where you will put together and record an ‘as live’ radio show, under the supervision of Patrick Haughey – course director, founder of www.audiobrand.ie & former producer for Matt Cooper, David McWilliams, and Mario Rosenstock.
- Pamela Joyce, Today FM presenter
- Gavan Reilly, Political Reporter, Virgin media News & Presenter, Newstalk Radio.
- John Duggan, Group Head of Sports News, Off The Ball.
- Aisling Moore, Senior Producer, Newstalk
- Alison Healy, Channel Manager, Today FM
- Patrick Haughey – founder of audiobrand.ie & former producer for Matt Cooper, David McWilliams, and Mario Rosenstock.
Every Tuesday evening between 6.30pm & 9.30pm for 10 weeks, final week on a Saturday between 9.00am & 12.00. Our very last session will be recorded live in the Today FM studios.
|Module||Essential Research and Production Skills for Talk Radio|
|Module||Presenting a music show|
|Module||Recording audio using a variety of equipment and set-ups|
|Module||Digital editing with Audacity|
|Module||Creating powerful Digital & Social Media Strategies|
|Module||How to prepare for and execute great interviews|
|Module||Producing and Presenting sports radio, video, and podcasts|
|Module||Podcasting – designing your podcast, recording and editing, marketing and audience growth|
What do you need?
Independent College has an open admissions policy for entry to the Diploma in Radio Production & Podcasting
How to Apply?
Click the Apply Now button
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01 877 3903
Learn all about it
Listen to our Course Director Patrick Haughey to find out what learners can expect from the course. Hear what students have to say about their experience with Today FM School of Radio.
MEET A GRADUATE
“Doing the Today FM School of Radio diploma is essentially like doing your internship before getting into your place of work. It meant that when I got my opportunity, I already had practical knowledge of the workings of a radio station and what was required of me within that structure. Having done the course I was capable of making an impression from day one and in an industry that can be very competitive that was a great bonus. Furthermore, because the course covers every aspect of how a radio station works it gives you a great understanding of your colleagues’ roles which can only help you in your new career and enlighten you as to how you might want to progress in it.” — Aidan McKelvey – a graduate of Today FM School of Radio and Podcasting and now a freelance researcher
Aims & Objectives
Our final thought for the day…
Whether you want to work in radio, podcasting, PR, marketing, freelance content creation, or sound engineering, a knowledge of the ever-growing ‘audio industry’ and how to record and produce compelling audio content is key to success. The Today FM School of Radio and Podcasting will cover everything you need to know over 10 weeks, in a highly practical, relevant and creative way.
You will spend time recording in Today FM Studios, and leave the course with a portfolio of work (recorded interviews and voxpops, presenter briefs, editorial pitches etc) that you will give you a solid advantage in future job interviews.
And don’t forget the Zoom digital recorder that’s yours to keep as part of the course – an essential piece of equipment for working in radio.