Independent College programmes are validated to the highest standards both nationally and internationally. A qualification at Independent College stands not only for academic achievement but also a deeper understanding of your subject in practical terms.
Quality and Qualifications Ireland
QQI is an independent State agency responsible for promoting quality and accountability in education and training services in Ireland. with a mission to:
- promote the enhancement of quality in Ireland’s further and higher education and training, and quality assure providers
- support and promote a qualifications system that benefits learners and other stakeholders
QQI audit and accredit programmes offered by Independent College, which lead to qualifications (QQI awards) listed in the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) and are recognised internationally.
Our undergraduate programmes are accredited to Honours Level 8 on the NFQ and our post-graduate programmes are accredited to Level 9 on the NFQ.
Ten Level System
The National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) is a ten-level system (1–10) giving an academic or vocational value to qualifications obtained in Ireland.
NFQ levels help indicate how an award can be used for training, education and employment opportunities.
Each level is based on nationally agreed standards of what a learner is expected to know and be able to do after receiving an award.
QQI is Ireland’s guardian of the NFQ system. They are responsible for the quality assurance of providers of education and training. They are also responsible for the validation of qualifications and in some instances make awards themselves.
NFQ serves several purposes:
- It ensures awards obtained in Ireland are quality-assured and recognised internationally
- It is part of a system for comparing Irish and international awards
- It supports lifelong learning by recognising knowledge and skills within a comparative framework even if they are not recognised by a formal
- It provides a system of establishing eligibility in learning processes for access, transfer and progression
- It recognises awards made by professional bodies
International NFQ is linked to similar frameworks in Europe. This helps people considering employment or study opportunities outside Ireland.
There are two qualifications frameworks at European level:
- The Framework for Qualifications of the European Higher Education Area also known as the ‘Bologna Framework’. This deals with higher education awards (NFQ 6-10).
- The European Qualifications Framework (EQF), which deals with all NFQ levels including schools, Further Education and Training, and Higher Education.
Your new globally recognised qualification not only stands for academic achievement but also a deeper understanding of your subject in practical terms. These are highly valued traits in your field of expertise.
Chartered Institute of Legal Executives
The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx) is the professional association for 20,000 Chartered Legal Executive lawyers, paralegals and other legal practitioners. For more than 50 years, they have been offering unparalleled access to a flexible career in law. In 2011, Independent College adapted the CILEX Professional Course in Legal Studies for the Irish Jurisdiction, which was then approved and endorsed by CILEX. Visit CILEx website.
Our Certificate and Diploma in Professional Legal Studies for Legal Executives is accredited by CILEX.
ACCA (the Association of Chartered Accountants)
ACCA is the global body for professional accountants. It has over 140,000 members and 404,000 students and offers support throughout their careers, providing services through a network of 83 offices and active centres.
Students who graduate with our BA (Hons) in Accounting & Finance are eligible for 9 out of 13 ACCA exemptions.
Students who qualify with our BA (Hons) in Business Studies with Accounting & Finance pathway are eligible for 2 ACCA exemptions.
Independent College is also part of the ACCA Accelerate programme faciltating preferential ACCA professional qualification rates.
The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants is the global professional management accounting body. CIMA offers training and qualification in management accountancy and related subjects. It is focused on accountants working in the industry and provides ongoing support and training for members.
Students who complete the BA (Hons) in Accounting & Finance at Independent College are approved by CIMA for 8 subjection exemptions. This information is contained on the CIMA website CIMA – (cimaglobal.com)